Rule Book
Membership
Contacts
Match Results
Links
ACTS Discussion Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ACTS Discussion Forums » The Gear » Gear » Hard Plate recommendation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hard Plate recommendation?
Mikko
"moot"
Shooter # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikko   Email Mikko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am older and slower and my steel hard plates are HEAVY!

Sell me on a set of lighter plates please.......

Specs and source

Posts: 1099 | From: MI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SomeOtherGuy
Master
Shooter # 1631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomeOtherGuy   Email SomeOtherGuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check these out:

https://www.botach.com/hardwire-nij-06-level-iii-dyneema-hard-armor-stand-alone-ballistic-plates-10x12-2-8lbs-1-thick/

They have some other similar options too, including a cheaper but thicker/heavier version, and a III "in conjunction with" (requires a soft vest underneath) as well.

--------------------
||| "Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as he closed the feed tray cover. |||

Posts: 680 | From: Down the hall, 3rd desk on the right | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikko
"moot"
Shooter # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikko   Email Mikko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this info

http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=170121&p=1187151&hilit=Dyneema#p1187151

Posts: 1099 | From: MI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SomeOtherGuy
Master
Shooter # 1631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomeOtherGuy   Email SomeOtherGuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting, didn't know that. I did see at the end of the big post this:

"Spectra- Wait, didn't I just say don't use this? Yes, yes I did. I am including this here for information purposes, and also because it is a gray area. Spectra in hard armor is not as HUGE a danger as soft armor (this from DocGKR) because of the amount of heat required to get it isothermic (the same temp throughout). So, if you have Spectra hardplates, there you go. Standalone Spectra plates can stop rifle rounds with enough layers. It stops rounds via frictive braking (think of bullet brake). However, be advised there are some rounds that will penetrate UHMWPE plates, such as M855 green tip. So again, do your homework."

So since Spectra and Dyneema are both based on UHMWPE it sounds like the 1"+ hard plates of Dyneema are probably OK, unless you are going to expose them to high heat.

Extrapolating, I would think they would be a bad choice for a cop carrying a vest in their trunk in the Southwest, but might be fine for someone in the midwest just wearing armor to shoothouse classes and ACTS. I am not an expert and I did not stay at Holiday Inn Express last night...

--------------------
||| "Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as he closed the feed tray cover. |||

Posts: 680 | From: Down the hall, 3rd desk on the right | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roadkill
Expert
Shooter # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadkill   Email Roadkill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked at the plastic armor and ended up with the ceramic ones for all the reasons stated – i.e. heat instability, not class IV, and also I think because they are a bit thicker which may give you problem fitting in a rig so be careful with this last part when pairing with a rig.

The one thing that I found that also make a big difference is how the plates are secured to your body and how heavy the carrier is. With ceramic Class IV, you are still carrying around 14 lb and ideally you are not carrying a lot of extra weight due to the carrier. I ended up with JPC from Crye because of two reasons. One is it is light, only 1 lb and the other is when properly configured, it sits tight against your body and there is literally no weight on your shoulders. Having it tight against your body means the weight acts like body weight vs. an external weight which flops around – this makes a huge difference especially when you move. I have worn mine for 15 hours straight without too much problem.

Posts: 360 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikko
"moot"
Shooter # 69

[ttiwoop]
Roadkill
Expert
Shooter # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadkill   Email Roadkill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you better get a picture of that heavy iron pig of yours up quick! [Big Grin]

It's nothing new. Most of the guys who shoots at ACTS have seen me wear it at the matches. Here is a photo.

-

Posts: 360 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ACTS Home

© 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 American Confederation of Tactical Shooters All Rights Reserved.
No portion of this website may be reproduced without prior written permission

image linking to 100 Top Guns and Gear Sites