Membership
Contacts
Match Results
Links
ACTS Discussion Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» ACTS Discussion Forums » The Game » Tactics & Strategy » Tactical soundness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tactical soundness
Coop 0331 EMT
Marksman
Shooter # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coop 0331 EMT   Email Coop 0331 EMT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people get done shooting and just reflect on the things that they did while shooting? if so about what? I ask because I continually think about how each stage was set up and all the stupid things that I did while shooting it and wondered if anyone had the same thoughts, or suggestions with better things to do and how to engrain them into your shooting ability so it just comes natural.
Posts: 1955 | From: Somewhere making poor decisions | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve
"Moorilla"
Shooter # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve   Author's Homepage   Email Steve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the onlything yah can really do is get the right training in weapons baiscs and manipultions and some in building clearing skills and adapt thsoe skills to each situation you come into i train fo rmuscle memory in failures and movent, and transitions and search skills. shooting is nothimg more than shootinng, but fighting is fighting and the need for fighting skills is great any one can teach yuo to shoot annd press a trigger, but to learn to fight is more important since it involves lots of skills to fight an manipulate the weapon under stress when it happens those that just shoot and dont train and dont fight are obvious they kind of look at ther gun and go shit now what happened! those are shooters not fighters. it is important to think about what skills yah need to learn to to make you better then to think about a stage that jsu thappened adn is gone form the scene and a whole new problem is next week... it s about the basics of fighting wiht your gun and yor skills you have to work with and those you realize you need to learn. ita learing game

--------------------
god if i hear one more freaking grossman sheep sheepdog sh!t im going to freaking explode into a fireball of sheep sh!t

Posts: 8466 | From: Flanking, Ricks flanking, by Flank steak,. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinnie
Low Speed
High Drag Emu
Shooter # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the same thing, and still mess things up the main thing for me is to come to the match without thinking about all the crap back at home. I try to keep a clear head during the match. and see if I can get some dry practice time at home, and I try not to beat myself up if I screw the pooch and work on where my weaknesses are, thing that sucks is all the practice boils down to a few seconds during a stage when your pulling the trigger for real, thats why the guys and gals that do it for real {easy} practice all the time. Just dont be too hard on your self. remember last year I won a match, that day I was the pigeon not the statue. Somtimes you will do everything right and have it all down in stone and you will know it when it happens and man its a great feeling when it does.

--------------------
Death is a primitive concept. I prefer to think of them as battling evil in another dimension! -Grig-

Posts: 8438 | From: Land of misfit toys | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy
Grand Master
Shooter # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy   Email Andy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest I don't mull the stages over for long. I just don't have the recall to do so I guess. I think it's a bit of the time dilation effect and I'd rather just shoot it as it comes and be done with it.

As Steve said, I try to work on the basics and elementals and not step on my cack. I'm not smart enough to try and plan things out that far either. I tried to pre-vis the unknown stage this month and that went in the crapper when my support arm took a goofy ass grip, half on the VFG and half on the free-float. All I remember is that it took me forever to get the dancing dot where I wanted long enough for snap shots and I almost missed the right side targets. I didn't catch the fact that my left hand went all windowlicker on me until the pics and clip that Rick shot of me for me. Thanks on that BTW Rick. I've wondered how goofy I look trying to walk, shoot and coalesce my feces...

--------------------
"The M-14 is an Institutional Approved violation of rule 3. It is a high speed design.........for 1936."

"Don't make the mistake of assuming that you and I share any of the same value systems."

Training and Match Pics

Posts: 10201 | From: here to there | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Hogrefe
The Founder
Shooter # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Hogrefe   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Hogrefe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
...coalesce my feces...

Eew

--------------------
So....you're a feminist.
Well, isn't that cute...

Posts: 8454 | From: Petoskey, MI | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy
Grand Master
Shooter # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy   Email Andy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a sh!tty week...

--------------------
"The M-14 is an Institutional Approved violation of rule 3. It is a high speed design.........for 1936."

"Don't make the mistake of assuming that you and I share any of the same value systems."

Training and Match Pics

Posts: 10201 | From: here to there | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Hogrefe
The Founder
Shooter # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Hogrefe   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Hogrefe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've gathered.

A good portion of your posts this week have dealt with poo. I'm begining to think you might have a fetish.
Poo festishes are the worst.

--------------------
So....you're a feminist.
Well, isn't that cute...

Posts: 8454 | From: Petoskey, MI | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Hogrefe
The Founder
Shooter # 2

quote:
Originally posted by Jake Ives:
How many people get done shooting and just reflect on the things that they did while shooting? if so about what? I ask because I continually think about how each stage was set up and all the stupid things that I did while shooting it and wondered if anyone had the same thoughts, or suggestions with better things to do and how to engrain them into your shooting ability so it just comes natural.

It has already been mentioned here, but you need formal training. once you have the training, you have to practice it. Shooting and fighting are perishable skills.

Once you have the proper tools, you have to use them...often. Even if you don't get out and practice live fire, you still need to work the body. Muscle memory is a big part of it. Just like driving. When you get into an unfamiliar car, you have to look at the ignition to put the key in. but when you get into your own car, you're looking out the front window when you put the key in because your body already knows where the ignition is.

Above all that, it is a mindset. Even if you are a master of all ninjas, you can't slay the Zombie if you aren't mentally prepared.

Some folks film their shooting. I used to do this when I was shooting IDPA a lot in California. After the match, I would watch it, and pick out mistakes, and make mental notes, and go practice with dry fire for a while. It works. It sounds silly, but it works. Don't practice infront of a mirror, either. If you do, you will be watching yourself and not teaching your muscles where things are, you'll be using your hands to guide you. Instead, use the same camera you used to film yourself on the range.

--------------------
So....you're a feminist.
Well, isn't that cute...

ARman
MOE luv
Shooter # 10

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARman   Author's Homepage   Email ARman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hogrefe:
So I've gathered.

A good portion of your posts this week have dealt with poo. I'm begining to think you might have a fetish.
Poo festishes are the worst.

Maybe we should hook Andy up with banging Betty, or maybe he's feeling guilty for shooting her. [Wink]

Getting some basic training is needed, but as you said Tony, mindset is key. As I experienced when going through training with a Swat team on house clearing back in the day. We were at Fort Custer and the Swat guys were the bad guys, we cleared the rooms and I was watching the first fire team to practice clearing a certain room. Everyone of the guys through the door died. Why? Because the bad guy was up in the rafters and the fire team all thought 2 dimensional. They didn't think of looking up, even though it was clear that there were no roof tiles or dry wall. We weren't allowed to use grenades (practice ones) before entry and it made a HUGE difference in our mindset.

After that, I have always thought through anything I do, before I do it. Not getting a clear mind of the situtation before you go in will get you killed. Granted, sometimes you don't know what's on the other side of the door, but not even thinking how things "might" progress or what the pitfalls may be makes you have a greater chance of getting killed or hurting the innocents.

And Tony, you say this is not training. I say it kind of is. Walking away and being able to think how you could have done something better is training. It might not be formal, step by step training, but it is training. And even with formal training, it can't cover everything. But formal training is a good first step.

And even if you can't afford some formal training, there are a lot of reputable sources on the web where you can learn some tactical/fighting skills that you can practice. Just watching Guns and Ammo or Shooting USA on TV can give you some pointers. Guns and Ammo had a great segment of their show about fighting in your house when an intruder comes calling.

--------------------
One day your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Posts: 3790 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topmaul
Novice
Shooter # 144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topmaul   Email Topmaul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I see the scores I re-run the entire match in my head. I identify areas for improvement, for example last match I used my AK for the first time under match conditions, I was a little unsure how it would do so I shot slow and carefully. Next time I'll be a lot more confidnet in the rifle, thus shoot much faster. I was just so used to my AR that an AK was a bit more of a transition than I thought it would be.

I usually have a personal goal for the next match, and do little drills leading up to the next match, I try to get a few days of live fire in before each match, in order to make sure every thing is ready.

--------------------
TEAM SAIGA

Posts: 26 | From: Moyock, N. C. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon cross
BoD
Shooter # 183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jon cross   Author's Homepage   Email jon cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any time you finish up a training exercise or any kind of drill, it's extremely helpful to go over a couple things in your head:
What did you do right?
What did you do wrong?
What can you do to correct mistakes?
What areas do you need additional training/practice in?

You can waste a lot of ammo going to the range and doing the same thing day in and day out. Figuring out your weak areas and using your time and rounds to work out the kinks you id'd at your last class/exercise/firefight will be a much better way to improve yourself as a shooter. I always do this, and it has worked for me, your milage may vary.

Jon

--------------------
"I'd rather go up the river with seven studs than a hundred shitheads"
- Charlie Beckwith

"I will not go down without a fight. When the actions of good, law-abiding men of virtue are made unlawful by the policies of power hungry bureaucrats, you fill find me there, among those men of virtue, standing firm."

Posts: 2129 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-lock
BoD
Shooter # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G-lock   Email G-lock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
post to move DM off new message list

--------------------
Fear not, do right.

Posts: 4786 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NL7CO
Novice
Shooter # 7075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NL7CO   Email NL7CO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I shoot a match, I generally stop RO-ing about three shooters before its my turn. Then after I shoot, I reload mags while thinking about what I did and how I did it. Then I write in my journal what notes I need. Later, I transfer the information to an excel spreadsheet and amplify as necessary. Before starting the dry fire or going to the range, I review the notes and then plan the range time.

--------------------
America is not at war, the US Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Posts: 34 | From: Lawton, OK | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogfoodactual
Rezident AssHole
Shooter # 28

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogfoodactual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a necropost from 2006. If someone really wants to discuss these threads from the past, start another thread please. The last guy that went ape-shit on 6 year old threads is now banned for many reasons including this one.
Not directed at you NL7CO, but your next to post after that incident. I hope you and everyone understands.
If you have a topic you want to discuss from the past, please start a new thread.

Thanks all.

--------------------
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Posts: 2476 | From: Grassy Knoll | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | ACTS Home

© 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 American Confederation of Tactical Shooters All Rights Reserved.
No portion of this website may be reproduced without prior written permission

image linking to 100 Top Guns and Gear Sites